Cherry Bomb Happenings Nationwide!
Bona Fide Books' imprint Cherry Bomb has Get Out! events throughout the spring in Austin, TX, New York, Boston, and Philadelphia. Find out more at Cherry Bomb Books.
Around the Lake
Writers in the Woods
Sierra Nevada College hosts the annual Writers in the Woods series featuring workshops and readings from a community of talented writers. Readings are free and open to the public; workshops are $50 for the public and free for students at the college.
March 29-30, 2013: Laura McCullough
McCullough is the author of four books of poetry. Her fifth book, Rigger Death & Hoist Another is forthcoming from Black Lawrence Press. She founded the Creative Writing program and Visiting Writers series at Brookdale Community College.
- Winner 2009 Kinereth Gensler award for her book “Panic”
- Winner of Flip Kelly award for “Women and Other Hostages”
April 27, 2013: Patricia Smith
Smith is known for both her poetry and vocal performances. She has performed around the world in such venues as the Poet’s stage in Stockholm, Rotterdam’s Poetry International Festival, Aran Islands International Poetry and Prose Festival, and Carnegie Hall. Smith is a professor of English at CUNY/College of Staten Island and a faculty member of the SNC/MFA program in Creative Writing. In 2006, she was inducted into the International Literary Hall of Fame for Writers of African Descent. Her most recent book is “Shoulda Been Jimmi Savannah”
- Four National Poetry Slam individual championship titles
- “Blood Dazzler” NPR top books of 2008, finalist for 2008 National Book Award
- National Poetry Series winner, “Teahouse of the Almighty”
- Pushcart Prize for “The Way Pilots Walk”
- 2007 Hurston/Wright Legacy Award and Paterson Poetry Prize winner; Close to Death (Zoland Books), Big Towns, Big Talk (Zoland) and Life According to Motown (Tia Chucha)
Tangled Roots Writing
For information on writing workshops and classes in Truckee, check out Karen Terrey's Tangled Root Writing.